Prep & Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 serves
Nutritional info per serve:
259.7 calories, 26.9g protein, 35.1g carbohydrates, 7.5g fibre, 1.3g fat (0.3g saturated).
- 4 large celery stalks and leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 baby fennel bulb, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ‘salt-reduced’ chicken stock powder
- 350g kangaroo steak fillets – rock salt to tenderize meat
- 1 (425g) can of baby beetroots, drained, quartered
- 1 (420g) can of lentils, drained well
- 1 cup of fresh parsley and mint, chopped
- cracked pepper to season
- canola oil spray
Step 1: Spray a non-stick fry pan with oil and heat on a medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until clear. Add fennel, sprinkle stock powder and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
Step 2: Transfer to a large salad/mixing bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Season kangaroo fillets with a little salt. Lightly spray fry pan with oil and heat on high. Sear fillets for 2-3 minutes each side, then reduce heat and allow to heat through for a further 1-2 minutes (rare) or 3-4 minutes (medium rare). When cooked remove fillets from pan; allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Add drained lentils and beetroot pieces to onion & fennel mix. Using a sharp knife cut fillets into thin slices. Add meat and fresh herbs to the rest of ingredients, season with pepper and toss well. Serve immediately.